To visit Adrada is to have the privilege of knowing both Tiétar valley as the Sierra de Gredos, which gives it great landscape and environmental diversity that results in extraordinary wealth, with many well preserved habitats (oaks, riparian forests, pine, chestnut, broom ..) inhabited by some of the jewels of the Iberian fauna.
This strategic location has a privileged climate, very tempered by the valley lies at an average altitude of around 600 m and protected by the Sierra de Gredos in the cold north winds.
The area offers to the visitors a big range of options for all tastes, from historic buildings to visit,to do air sports (horse riding, cycling, quad biking, paragliding), lost bysaw on
lrelaxing walks or more complicated or take as a starting point for other areas of the valley and the mountains.
Of course ,when we visit Adrada , we have to taste typical local dishes, based on traditional Avila kitchen characterized by the quality and authenticity of its ingredients: Jewish Boat Ávilacon sausage, trout streams of the Sierra Gredos, delicious goat cheese Adrada made artisanal way, buns typical San Blas, delicious ” revolconas potatoes “, without forgetting the classic and exquisite ribeye cochifrito from Ávila . Restaurants and places inns make much effort to provide all visitors a good taste to enjoy.
One of the best things to do to reach the village is a walk for it.. The EDIFICIO REYES is located in “El Torrejón” classic neighborhood of the village and from which has an enviable view of the town and the mountains. If we go downstairs about 50m. we ´ll arrive directly to the Town Hall. At the heart of it lies a source nineteenth century that brings water directly from the mountains. But mostly the square is the center of the meetings, and to celebrate the diferente holidays and fairs and it permits to know the gastronomy taking the appetizer in nearby taverns.
From the main Square takes Long Street, the main thoroughfare for centuries the town where most of the noble houses of the town.
Another meeting place in the village is the ” Kidney Fountain “named for the way it has. Do not forget to drink water because it ensures Adrada back another time.
On this tour we will have seen a few monuments worth noting that the Church, the Chapel of Our Lady of the Ivy and Castle.
- Church: It is located near the town square The church dates from the sixteenth century and was constructed under the direction of Pedro de Tolosa. Inside lies a baroque altarpiece churrigueresco six spiral columns with figures of San Salvador (which is the holder of the Parish) and San Blas (Patron of the town).
- Chapel of Our Virgin of the Ivy: located in the Parque de la Nava. Also dating from the sixteenth century and it was built on the site in which an image of the Virgin that was venerated at the abbey of BURGOHONDO . She appeared on a wall covered in ivy to a sacristan of the village ,passing through Adrada in XII century. Between the twelfth and the fourteenth century this image was returned several times BURGOHONDO but it reappeared in the Ivy so ended up staying in Adrada and she became her patrones. The image is still preserved inside the Hermitage.
- Castle Adrada: situated at the top of a hill overlooking the village presiding. It belong to fourteenth century and it was built on an older order of the Constable Ruy Lopez de Avalos. It was used primarily for the amusement of royalty and nobility, who came to this castle by the abundant game around him. This night did Henry III, John II, Henry IV and The Catholic Monarchs.
The possessions of the castle was going through different hands to reach the town hall in the late twentieth century. Since then ,it has been restored and has become the Historical Interpretation Centre Tiétar Valley.
- Aprisquillo Pine: A superb example with over 400 years of about 25 high and you need 5 people to embrace. On the way from the mountain village address (Mt 56) can delight in the beauty of the landscape, magnificent views of the Valley Tietar, Adrada and the highest peak of the mountain, the White Blackbird, places as charming as the refuge Ciburnal of the puddle and fonts Cooker mountain springs the water. In total about 2 hours of enjoyable way.
- The Natural Dam Pinara: Another way to cool off in summer surrounded by pine trees in an old dam restored to delight the vacationer, who also has 2 bars to spend a day soaking.
- Surrounding Area: The Adrada is a great starting point for much of the Valley and the Sierra de Gredos. Highlighted:
- Piedralaves: 5km just another example of typical village of the valley with old houses and charming squares, and a natural dam up to the mountains, ‘Granddaughter’.
- Puerto peak: dividing point between the northern and southern plateau at 1391m altitude and whose rise can admire the Roman road, one of the best preserved in Spain that is aimed at him yet. Can also visit the towns they encounter: Cuevas del Valle, Villarejo del Valle, San Esteban del Valle, Santa Cruz del Valle, which give name to the Canyon or Valley of the Five Towns.
- The circus of Gredos: taking as a starting point Adrada the boldest can venture to one of the most interesting tours in Gredos: the Gredos Regional Park to visit the Laguna Grande and peak Almanzor. Leaving the car in ‘platform’ (near Hawthorn Hoyos) makes the trek begins one of the most beautiful places in Gredos landscape where they can also admire the Gredos ibex live in freedom.
- Pedrobernardo: in this hillside town of steep streets appears.
- Arenas de San Pedro: the largest in the area and well known for the ‘Cuevas del Águila’.